As you all know India is now using one Indirect tax called GST. In this blog post we shall learn about Indian GST tax setup in opencart. So from now on if someone makes an order outside your state or within state proper taxes are added with order. At end of blog post you shall also find an Indian gst tax opencart extension for helping you show break down of taxes with order.
Indian GST tax setup in Opencart :
Summary of steps to be done below for Indian GST tax setup :
- Create Geo zones to setup taxes outside and within state.
- Setup tax rate.
- Setup tax classes.
- Assign to product.
Demo Link: Indian Gst Demo Setup
So no matter you are on which version of opencart this shall apply to all opencart versions. I shall explain you step by step on how to set up the GST taxes:
- Login into admin panel of Opencart.
- Then go to System – Localisation – Geo Zones – Add new.
- I am considering Maharashtra as my source state. So we will make Inside Maharashtra as my one Geo Zone. You can make your own state as per your source state of your products.
- Now we will make rest of state as second Geo Zone called Outside Maharashtra. It should contain all states outside Maharashtra
- So we now have to setup 2 GST geo zones for India.
- Now go to System – Localisation – Taxes – Tax rates – Add New
- We will first setup taxes within state which will be SGST and CGST.
- Suppose total tax is 18% so it shall be 9% each for SGST and CGST.
- You can see below SGST 9% for geo zone as Inside Maharashtra.
- Now we set up CGST 9% for geo zone as Inside Maharashtra.
- Now we will make IGST 18% for sales outside state.
- Similarly we shall create 2 more tax rate Ex: 12% GST, 28% GST.
- Now its time to create a new tax class for 18%, 12%, 28%
- So go to System – Localisation – Taxes – Add new.
- We have created 18% GST and added all tax rates related with 18% GST.
- So we have two tax classes now for GST i.e 18% and 12%. You can have more like if you have different rate. Follow above method to create first tax rates and then tax classes. Seems easy !
- Now we have all set up taxes. Its time to assign to product.
- So go to Admin – catalog – product – edit – data tab. On this page you can see tax class like below. So for almonds we are going to assign 12% GST.
- And similarly you can assign different tax rates to different products in Opencart.
If you had any doubts setting Indian GST tax setup you can contact us on email at email@example.com
Kindly add your details about tax setup you need. We also provide premium help in setting this up if needed.
We are also releasing an extension soon for Indian GST tax setup. So you can then send Customers invoice in GST format with each taxes calculated separately.